10 (+1) Leadership Tips that Just Might Work for You
September 18th, 2014
I was invited this week to speak with some real community leaders about leadership. At the Grantwriters’ Roundtable facilitated by Stephen Depolo from Grand Valley State University, I shared these tips gleaned from multiple sources over a span of more than 30 years.
This lively group added another 10 tips in the next 15 minutes. I hope many of them will comment on this blog, introducing themselves and adding their tips. Maybe you have some too.
- Be transparent. Share your passion. It's contagious.
- Learn to live in your truth.--from "The Identical" movie
- Observe a Sabbath every week--just meditating, resting, eating, being quietly with family, reconnecting with yourself.
- Open yourself to people. The rewards are worth the risk.
- Eat well. Sleep well. Breathe deeply. Stay as active as you can for as long as you can.
- Pull back, ask advice, regroup. Never quit.
- Surround yourself with a team that is better than you are--complementary to your skills.
- Exceed expectations. Choose to be excellent.
- Lead from the middle.
- Risk wisely. Lead boldly.
- Lead confidently not arrogantly.
Please, go ahead and “talk amongst yourselves”.
And while you're at it take a look at the video