10 Ways My Dog Makes Me A Better Person
March 18th, 2013
I find it easier to talk about dogs than people when I am looking for examples of how to positively influence people. Someone said, "I like most dogs better than I do most people." Maybe I wouldn't go that far, but my dogs have certainly taught me much over the past 15 years. Here are a few of the things that Sherry our 1 1/2 year old puppy has shown me that I think might inform our behaviors with other humans.
- She always seems to expect my best.
- She nudges and tail-wags more than she barks.
- She makes me feel like she can't be happy without me.
- She licks with praise and her criticisms never bite.
- No matter how many times I forget to feed her she always gives me another chance.
- She makes me feel like the most important person in her world.
- She is quietly attentive when I need to talk and snuggles when I need comfort.
- She is always ready to play enthusiastically.
- She needs me to get by in this strange human-dominated world.
- She lets me be her friend.
What are some of the lessons you have learned from your pets or others that might help us to become better friends, better neighbors, better people?
Over the next month or so I will elaborate on some of these themes and also converse with you about some of your comments.